Sunday, August 19, 2012

2012 USAPL Men's Open National Championships, -93kg

Saturday, June 23

Squat: 617, 650x, 666
Bench: 358, 369, 380
Deadlift: 540, 578, 600
Total: 1647.9lb (747.5kg) [8 for 9]
5th place
Weight: 204.6lb (92.8kg)
Wilks: 470



Yay, I had my best meet at my biggest meet to date!!!  Big thanks to my wife, Alex Kang, Eriek Nickson, Josh, and Joe Lewis for their help during the meet.

Squat: My opener was absolutely smoked, something I need to do be doing consistently as it feels as though it sets the tone very well for success for me.  My target was 672 - 683, but when I was called on depth on 650, I decided to go more conservative.  Although 650 moved pretty quickly, I knew if I had to sink it deeper it would almost automatically be slower.  It turned out 666 was a pretty good call, I was able to sink it convincingly deep, earn three white lights, and get a PR squat.

Bench: Things were moving fast, started warming up on bench immediately after getting out of my squat suit.  Rushed to get my shirt on and in position and my last warm-up with 330 felt TERRIBLE.  Barely got it to my chest and then felt absolutely terrible pressing it.  My mind starts racing, how in the hell am I going to get a bench in?  I quickly asked my handler to change my opener, and then heard the announcement that no more changes could be made to openers.  Okay, time to stay calm and figure out what I can do.  I unseated the armpits of my shirt slightly and had Alex pull the neck down a bit.  I was relieved to press my opener, although not quickly, and receive white lights.  Since the opener did not move so quickly I decided to go up 5kg and pressed that slightly easier.  For my 3rd attempt I pulled the collar down slightly again, and this time pressed 380 the smoothest of all attempts.  Will never underestimate the importance of properly positioning the shirt, now it's time to pull 600.

Deadlift: My opener at 540 was smoked, but felt a bit off.  Then 578 felt a touch sticky in the middle but 600 felt like it was there.  I tried to be very aggressive on 600 and dipped too low with my hips and hit a vicious sticking point in the middle.  But I got through the sticking point and pushed my hips through and finished off a great meet!

Can't wait until nationals next year.  Look forward to working hard and gradually improve my positioning in the 93kg class.  Had a ton of fun this weekend, and it was great sharing a platform with some of the best in the sport.  Also, I really enjoyed meeting a lot of people I look up to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment