Saturday, March 17, 2012

2012 USAPL Wisconsin State Meet, 1/28/12

Squat (38 Super Centurion)
611
650x
650 (17 pound PR)

Bench (44 Katana S/S)
330 (ties PR)
347x
352x

Deadlift (33 Inzer Max DL)
534
573x
589 (27 pound PR)

Total: 1570 (44 pound PR)
Wilks: 456
Weight: 196.9
5/9

I nailed my opener on squat and my confidence was high, perhaps a bit too high.  My second attempt came out of the hole well but I lost my back tightness and lot it forward.  On the third attempt my depth was VERY close and the weight wanted to pull me forward but I was able to learn from my mistake and arch back into it, get my hips through, and finish the lift.

Bench was a bit of a disaster.  My opener was a bit of a struggle, and thought if I could get the shirt pulled down I'd be good for 347.  I lost my tightness a bit once I got the bar on the chest, and bobbled a bit as I got the press command.  I ended up getting two red lights for this, and thought if I could manage 352 I'd have a shot at totaling 1600 yet.  My technique was generally better on 352, but I must have come down a bit crooked, as the press was off and consequently I couldn't finish it.  Considering I'd benched 350-355 a bunch of times in training this was rather disappointing.

Deadlift opener flew.  I haven't smoked a deadlift opener quite like that before.  On my second pull I lost my balance, and was slowed down the pull so that I didn't fall over backward, and once I steadied myself I looked out.  Once I got the down command I had to back-pedal quickly to avoid falling.  It was for naught, because I got called for ramping.  Have to root my feet better!  My handler wanted me to stay at the same weight, but I knew I had more in the tank and was not going to be happy with an 11 pound PR on deadlift.  Also, I resolved to only go to nationals if I could get my last pull.  I asked my handler to put in for 595 which would have given me the old national qualifying total in the 198's, and I noticed when I was up that he put 589 on the bar!  It was a good solid pull, albeit difficult. 

I did the most reps in my competition cycle with the deadlift, and perhaps that is the reason my pull was better than my squat or bench.  On bench I did WAY too many singles in my shirt, and switched shirts the last few weeks of my cycle.  Although my evaluation went well where I pressed a very smooth and solid 355, my training should have been better.  For squat I was afraid of irritating my injury so I pretty much stuck with singles for the last few suit squat sessions.  One thing that I noticed in thinking about my last few meet prep's is when I was doing reps in suits with the straps up (4's, 3's, and 2's) my suit squat was the strongest it has been relative to my raw squat.  I shall return to this style of training in my meet prep.  The thought of competing at nationals for the first time is extremely exciting; I can't wait to see and compete with some of the best lifters in the nation.  It will be very humbling, but I already know I have a long way to go. Also, I look forward to working with my handler on a Maile-esque cycle and see how things go.  I think it will help me bring up some weak points and get my body ready for some "big" weights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h47yh3dUeE

No comments:

Post a Comment